Purchasing an old home with a renovation plan can be exciting; however, lead paint is one of the most significant issues you may face. Depending on how old the house is, the walls could be adorned with old paint that might be full of lead. To avoid dangerous lead poisoning, you must know how to identify and deal with lead paint in older homes. Continue reading to learn more about the dangers of lead paint.
What is Lead Poisoning?
Lead is a toxic metal that can cause severe illness or even death. If ingested, lead can build up in the body and cause many health problems. Some of the adverse effects include kidney damage, brain damage, infertility, cognitive damage in children, and more. If you suspect having ingested lead from flaking paint in your old home, some symptoms include vomiting, abdominal pain, seizures, and more. Industrial use of lead is okay, but it has been banned from household products such as paint for about 30 years.
How to Deal with Lead Paint
You must test the paint for lead if you have recently bought an old house. You can buy a testing kit at your local hardware store. These kits will indicate whether lead is present at 0.5% or more. If you are unable to obtain a testing kit, contact a professional painting contractor with special testing equipment. A painting contractor can remove old lead paint or seal it to prevent chipping and ingestion. Once you have addressed any lead problems in your home, you are free to renovate as you please.
Contact Rob Ross Painting
For your next home renovation, contact Rob Ross Painting for professional painting services. With years of experience, our team is highly skilled in providing the best paint job that will exceed your expectations. Contact us today for a free quote!